For me experiencing great food is one of the things I love about traveling. When you’re traveling thugh you can enjoy good food
yet make sure that you don’t bust your budget by eating only at the “finest” places. Here’s some tips on how you can get your belly full without emptying your pockets.
- If your hotel includes breakfast and lunch in the package then make sure you eat the “free” meal. Eat as much as you can to avoid having to buy snacks.
- If you do feel hungry between meals it is wise to buy food at a local grocery store instead of the hotel snack bar where everything is priced steeply. Make sure you buy at stores where the price is already listed though so you won’t get ripped off bargaining if you have no idea what the price of stuff should be. Stock up on snacks so that you’ll have something to munch on each time you get a bit hungry.
- Drink lots of water. This will not only keep you full but hydrated. The safe bet though is to drink bottled water only. So bring a huge bottle of water with you. Water can be ridiculously expensive
at some places (especially in tourist spots).
- Eat the local food. When eating out during a meal avoid eating “foreign food”, meaning food from your own country, because it will not only be more expensive but will also not let you experience the full flavour of the place. Be adventurous and eat where you see locals dining. This means the daily places where they actually dine and not only upscale restaurants meant for tourists.
- And lastly, make friends with locals and get invited over for dinner. This often results not only in the cheapest but also best meal experiences in exotic places. Be smart though and don’t get yourself mugged in the process!
Oh and do make room in your budget to splurge for a few meals to experience the best of the best.