One of the nicest things about Galle is that everyone can get a real taste of this special fort (and feeling like one’s gone back in time) with the large choice of accomodation to suit all needs. Here are my picks:
Families, Groups of Friends and Those Seeking Privacy
Roomy and well-stocked ( books, stereos, outdoor toys etc..), you can find many lovely villas within the Fort itself, in the nearby countryside or on the beach. Staff is always included, and most have pools – and its a wonderful way to feel like a local by shopping at the markets to discover the spices, teas and fresh seafood of the area.
- Emma Villa – 3 beds, in the Fort, tiny pool and lovely terrace overlooking the ramparts and sea.
- Arilaya – 6 beds, large villa with an equally large and pretty swimming pool, swimable beach, 15 mins. from town, staff and cook.
- The Beach Hut at Thalpe – For a family of 3, large pool, charm oozing on the beach.
Honeymooners and Couples
- The Sun House – Small hotel with the most romantic views, cozy and charming.
- The Dutch House – Even smaller and grander but with fantastic rooms in a beautifully restored building.
- Galle Fort Hotel – Modern Asian food prepared fresh with daily menus, stylishly decorated, great antique collection.
Sun Worshippers/ Tour Groups/ Families
- Lighthouse Hotel – Large hotel with balconies, 2 pools, spa and beach.