There is always the temptation to consider far-away places when a family thinks of having a vacation. This is quite understandable since distance is typically associated with novelty. Families often forget the fact that they may not have fully explored the place they are in. Somewhere in the place they call home or near it may lie the perfect staycation spot which will not require long-distance travel.
What is a Staycation?
Staycation is a portmanteau of stay-at-home and vacation. By these word combination alone, it is easy to derive the meaning of staycation. It is essentially taking a vacation without leaving home.
Now home here can refer to a residential home or home country. A family who decides to go swimming in their own backyard and a family who opts to go to a local resort instead of one located in a foreign land are both technically staycationing. The common factor between the two is the obvious preference for no travel or less travel. Staycationing releases the family from the stress of travel, packing, and beating schedules.
Staycations need not be boring just because they are done at home or near home. Consider these tips:
1. Staycations are intended to make vacations simpler so vacationing family members should forego with complicated planning. This allows every member of the family to maximize relaxation. The usual person-in-charge of the family or the parents have the right to have fun too.
2. Homes may not be different but a different activity can always be done in it. Consider converting the garden into a spa and swim area where everyone including the children can be pampered. Hiring professionals to do massage or facial treatments can be paid for by the money saved on traveling expenses.
3. Leave work behind at least until the duration of the vacation. One of the disadvantages of staycations at home is the easy access to work and domestic problems. It might be a good idea to remain inaccessible to calls and other disruptions to truly enjoy the vacation.
4. Staycations can be as simple as being free from domestic work such as cleaning and cooking for three days. Hire somebody to do these for you while you get to do what you want such as pursue a hobby or spend time with family absolutely without guilt.
5. The main secret to staycations is to relax and have fun.
There is nothing wrong with travel. Sometimes, it’s just better to enjoy at home or near home. The respite will ensure that the traveler will be raring to travel once opportunity presents itself.
About the Author:
Teresa is a researcher-writer who covers a wide range of topics in search of useful information to offer to her readers. She currently maintains four personal blogs.